Horsemaster Level Evaluation Information
The following youth MUST be evaluated prior to clinic in order to participate:
- All first-time participants regardless of level
- Any past participant wishing to move up in level
- Any past participant riding a new horse.
- A youth who has never been in a Jumping class at clinic must be evaluated in jumping prior to clinic
Prior to Five-Day Horse Clinic, a participant and his/her horse or pony may need to be evaluated. This will help place rider and horse into appropriate classes with riders of similar ability. At each level, a “4-H Horsemaster Mounted Skills Evaluation” form is used. Only the Mounted Skills section will be used for the clinic evaluations. Completion of the other sections of the 4-H Horsemaster Program (writen test booklets) is highly encouraged but not necessary for clinic. Please refer to the different levels’ Mounted Skills Evaluation forms link at https://www.canr.msu.edu/allegan/allegan_county_4_h/equine1 to determine what level a rider will attempt at the evaluation dates. A participant may sign up under their existing Horsemaster level without an evaluation. Cloverbuds do not need to complete an official evaluation but are requested to demonstrate to their 4H leader prior to clinic that the horse/rider pairing is a safe one.
Level 1: These classes are designed for young riders or those with little riding experience.
Riders must be able to walk, steer and stop their horse or pony before joining a class.
Level 2/3: These classes are designed for riders with intermediate riding skills. Riders must know basic aids, hand and body position and be able to walk, jog/trot, lope/canter their horse or pony with some consistency.
Level 4/5: These classes are designed for riders with advanced riding skills. Riders must have good hand and body position, be able to use riding aids effectively and to be able to walk, jog/trot on the correct diagonal, lope/canter their horse or pony on the correct lead consistently.
Virtual Horsemaster “Mounted Skills Evaluations”
The “Mounted Skills Evaluation” may now be done virtually. Email a video of your mounted test to any approved evaluator.
The email must include the following:
1. Subject Line: Horsemaster Evaluation for ___________ (rider’s name).
2. In the body of the email, please include the riders name, age, 4H club, and level they are testing for. Video Requirements:
1. Follow instructions in the respective Horsemaster Level Written Test.
2. The video must be taken in landscape mode.
3. The video must be taken from the outside of the arena along side the rail OR from the center of the arena.
4. Please do not zoom in closely, the evaluator needs to be able to see a portion of the arena.
5. The video should be one continuous flow with no splicing or editing of video segments.
6. If not specified, the maneuver or gait asked for should be continued for half of the arena to give the evaluator ample time to critique the maneuver. (ie: Right lead canter, Trot to the left, etc.)
7..Only 1 rider in the arena at time of filming.
8. Keep background noise to a minimum, if possible.